Counting sheep, melatonin, chamomile tea – we’ve tried everything to get a dreamy night’s sleep. Our number one strategy for bedtime bliss? A perfectly made bed to crawl into everyday. The St. Frank bed has a distinct allure, and we’re sharing our go-to tips for creating the cloud-like array of plush patterns that we’re known for. Get in bed with St. Frank!
- Take the lead. Before we even touch the top of bed, we start with an eye-catching piece above or behind the bed. We love a good juju (or grouping of Juju Hats) to add a pop of color and texture to the wall. A striking painting or photograph also does the trick – we love using something in a bold hue to play off of the color of the bed. Or, if you really want to make an impact, use a headboard in a killer print or a piece with ornate sculptural elements.
- Size matters. We follow a strict formula when creating our display of cascading pillows. The breakdown is simple: start with the largest size (a 26″ x 26″ euro), and use smaller pillows as you work your way down the bed, with a lumbar as the finishing touch. This way, all the colors and patterns of your pillows are visible for maximum impact. There’s no such thing as too many pillows in our book – we’ve been known to stock our beds with 5 or 6 rows of perfectly overstuffed pillows.
- Pattern play. Mixing patterns is the name of the game. While this may seem like a daunting assignment, it is really quite easy. We’ll mix Mud Cloth with Indigo, throw in a Huipil, and add a Kantha or Kilim for good measure. The best way to ensure your bed doesn’t turn into a cacophony of prints and patterns is to be intentional about the way you pair them. Combine an over-scale pattern with a smaller, delicate print. Stripes on stripes? No problem. Vary the direction – horizontal against vertical. As a general rule, we like to keep each row in the same pattern and color. Use symmetry to add order to assortment.
- Throw down. The cherry on top of this heavenly arrangement is the addition of a throw or blanket. Our current summer fave is a bright striped frazada to add irresistible color. We love to drape ours at the foot of the bed diagonally to add some interest to the composition. Alternatively, layer two for extra texture. A quilt or super soft throw also works for interest at the end of bed and warmth for a chilly night.
- Serve it up. We spend way more time in bed than we’d care to admit. Our bed often hosts us working, reading and drinking coffee. To facilitate our horizontal lifestyle, we are always sure to include a tray nearby to keep our activities in order. Use this platform for a book, laptop, or coffee mug, and you’re set. You’ll never want to leave!
Scroll on for some visuals of St. Frank beds and some that inspire us. Sweet dreams…
Go big or go home with a Sublime size piece of art over the bed. How divine is this burnt orange color scheme?
Between the photograph, pillow, and crisp white ceilings, this is a bed our dreams our made of.
Hello, color! We love the bold use of both color and pattern on this bed by Dabito. An accent wall of wallpaper can function in the place of art to anchor a dreamy scheme.
We love the way our Mud Cloth prints add a focal point as a backdrop to this cute bedroom.
Talk about an entrance! We love the striking headboard used in this Indian boudoir.
There’s nothing like a bright yellow juju to bring sunshine and playfulness into the bedroom, especially one anchored in indigo hues.
There’s no such thing as too many pillows! We layered 5 rows of plush pillows on the bed in our East Hampton store.
The key to mixing patterns is to keep some elements consistent. Here the color palette rotates between black and white and blue and white and the richer indigos are separated by a lighter indigo. Symmetry back to front and right to left supports the mix.
The light and neutral color of this textured throw balances beautifully against the indigo pillows and midnight accent wall.
Breakfast in bed anyone? Our patterned trays make the perfect bed accessories for lazy mornings.