With Mother’s Day just around the corner, we’re dedicating this post to the nesting moms. Creating a sanctuary for your bébé is an important task, so we’ve gathered a few tips to help you through the process.
1. Pattern Play. A nursery is the perfect place to let loose with pattern and color. These playful elements create texture and discovery for your little. Start with a colorful foundation, such as wallpaper (for nurseries, we especially love our Indigo Dots and Kuba Cloth in Terra Cotta); layer on custom floor cushions and an upholstered rocking chair with our fabric by the yard; top it off with a pattered rug, blankets, toys.
2. Get Wild. We love adding exotic animals to keep baby company. We use our Emberá animal masks from Panama as wallhangings and the perfect pop of color and whimsy. Our tried and true stuffed Elephants (in Mama and Baby sizes) and Goats from Laos made the most trusty companions, plus, they’re colored with 100% natural vegetable dyes, which means they can also lend themselves to the teething process without worry.
3. Big Softies. More than any other room in your house, the tactile quality of everything in the nursery is of the highest importance. Soft and cozy surfaces will ensure your babe is comfortable and calm. Our Baby Alpaca throws make the perfect cuddling accessories. For rugs, we turn to our Beni Ourain from Morocco. They have a little extra body to cushion a tumble. And for the ultimate warm and cozy addition, incorporate one of our St. Frank x Forsyth Sheepskin rugs from New Zealand on your rocking chair or layered on top of a your rug or carpet.
4. Out of Sight. Anyone that’s changed a dirty diaper or had to clean crayons off the wall can agree that baby rearing is not all sunshine and rainbows. Make sure you incorporate a place to store blankets, towels, baby wipes, and dirty laundry into your space (you’ll thank us later). But these storage solutions don’t have to be unsightly (we’re looking at you, big plastic bins). Hide rubbish in style with our printed wastebaskets and store all the necessities in one of our woven baskets from Indonesia.
5. Color Theory. Gone are the days when girl’s rooms are decorated in pink and boys rooms in blue. Don’t feel tied to those color rules if it doesn’t suit you. Maintain a sophisticated palette with neutrals, incorporate a neon pop, or go bold with a red or yellow color story. Our rule of thumb for colors is: there are no rules!
To all those expecting a special delivery soon, this one’s for you. Welcome baby!
Wallpaper to wow the imagination!
Pattern on pattern.
Varying textures throughout the room, the sheepskin on the rocking chair is a plush touch.
This nook is truly a magical, dream-like escape.
Cool hues are the new neutral.
A playful animal kingdom.
Beni Ourain rugs ground this room in cozy.
Can’t get enough of this unexpected color palette by our friends at SWAYSTUDIO.
Looking for more inspiration? Check out our picks for the perfect nursery.Shop Nursery Favorites